Pages

Monday, June 28, 2010

What's to Come?

We've made it all the way through Middle Sunday, which means tomorrow is Magic Monday, possibly the most exciting tennis day of the year. In case you're not familiar with the Wimbledon format, there is no tennis played on the middle Sunday of the tournament. All singles round of 16 matches are completed on the second Monday, which is often termed Magic Monday. This is a very popular ticket as all of the best players are in action on the same day. I don’t usually like to do this, but I’d like to take a brief look at each match up going into week 2.

Gentlemen’s Singles

Roger Federer vs. Jurgen Melzer: Jurgen Melzer made an impressive run at the French Open earlier this month and is looking to repeat that result at Wimbledon. However, he’s been cursed with Roger Federer as an opponent. I know Federer’s not playing his best tennis, but even mediocre Federer is a terrifying prospect. Plus, Federer cruised through his match against Arnaud Clement and will be going into Monday’s match well rested and confident. I don’t think he’ll have much trouble dispatching Melzer.

Tomas Berdych vs. Daniel Brands: Who is Daniel Brands? I’m still not really sure where this guy came from. Considering he’s never played Wimbledon before, I’m pretty impressed with his results thus far. He managed to defeat Nikolay Davydenko in the second round and he’s also pretty easy on the eyes. I’m really not sure how I’ve missed him. As intrigued as I am, I think I’ll side with Berdych in this match-up. Berdych had a great result at the French and should ease his way into the quarters at Wimbledon.

Novak Djokovic vs. Lleyton Hewitt: I think this should be the most exciting round of 16 match-up. Both players have had pretty good tournaments, although Djokovic did have a real first round scare against Olivier Rochus. Hewitt recently won the grass title in Halle leading up to Wimbledon by defeating Roger Federer. He’s on a bit of a hot streak and I think he’ll prevail in five.

Yen-Hsun Lu vs. Andy Roddick: Roddick is one of my favorite players and I desperately want him to win a Wimbledon title. Lu has played in seven Wimbledons and never made it past the second round. He’s had a very lucky year, getting to the second week of a major for the first time, but I think his run is over. Roddick has been in the Wimbledon final three times now and has proven himself to be a world class grass court player. He should have no issues sending Lu home in the fourth round.

Julien Benneteau vs. Jo-Wilfried Tsonga: The battle of the Frenchmen. Both of these men have flown under the radar in the first week. People tend to forget that Tsonga made it to the finals of the Australian Open in 2008, so I guess he could make some kind of run at Wimbledon as well. I think Tsonga will muscle his way into the quarters, but not any further than that.

Sam Querrey vs. Andy Murray: I didn’t have high hopes for Murray entering Wimbledon considering his performance this year. I think I might have been wrong. Murray didn’t drop a single set all week. Murray shouldn’t have too much trouble getting past Querrey (maybe 4 sets?) and after that, he should make it to at least the semi finals, where he will most likely meet Nadal.

Robin Soderling vs. David Ferrer: I don’t have much to say about this one. David Ferrer is a great tennis player, but has never made it past the fourth round of Wimbledon before. Robin Soderling is probably one of the hottest commodities on the ATP tour at the moment and recently played in the French Open final for the second consecutive year. He also hasn’t dropped a set all week. Soderling in straights.

Paul-Henri Mathieu vs. Rafael Nadal: I have to take Nadal in this one. Two years ago Mathieu was a top 15 player, but his ranking has fallen all the way to 63 and he’s never made it past the fourth round at Wimbledon. Nadal may be a bit shaky considering his last two matches, but he shouldn’t have too much trouble getting through to the quarters, that’s when he can start to worry.

Ladies’ Singles

Serena Williams vs. Maria Sharapova: Both of these women are former Wimbledon champions so this should make for an excellent match. Maria Sharapova looks like she’s back to her old self and that’s nice to see. However, Serena Williams has pretty much dominated women’s tennis for the past several years. She’s the reigning champ and I think she’ll prevail in 3 sets.

Na Li vs. Agnieszka Radwanska: I’m not sure I really know enough about either player to judge this match adequately. Radwanska was pretty highly touted in the last couple of years, but seems to have faded from the spotlight, while Na Li is a pretty common name in the early second week of majors. Na Li to win.

Caroline Wozniacki vs. Petra Kvitova: Caroline Wozniacki may be young, but she’s certainly making herself known on the tour. She made it to the US Open final in September and I think she’s got even more potential. I’m not sure Wimbledon is her tournament, but I don’t think she’ll have any issues against Kvitova.

Klara Zakopalova vs. Kaia Kanepi: These are two names I wasn’t expecting to see, considering I’d never heard either before this week. Kanepi is the only qualifier left in the tournament on either side and she’s from Estonia, not exactly the most well known country for tennis. I’m not really sure who will win, but I like a good Cinderella story, so Kanepi.

Kim Clijsters vs. Justine Henin: This is probably going to be the most talked about match of the day. Both women are multiple grand slam winners have come back from long hiatuses. Wimbledon is the only major title that has eluded Henin and she has said that winning Wimbledon was her reason for coming out of retirement. Clijsters made her comeback with a bang by winning the 2009 US Open on a wild card entry. Both women are playing great tennis, but I think Henin is a bit hungrier. Henin in 3.

Vera Zvonareva vs. Jelena Jankovic: Jelena Jankovic has always been unpredictable. She lost in the third round last year to Melanie Oudin, who was a relative nobody at the time. However, I think she still has what it takes to beat Zvonareva.

Tsvetana Pironkova vs. Marion Bartoli: I like Marion Bartoli. She’s the number one French woman and a former Wimbledon finalist. I’ve never really heard of Tsvetana Pironkova, so I think I’ll have to take Bartoli in this one.

Jarmila Groth vs. Venus Williams: Jarmila Groth broke through earlier this month at the French Open, but probably won’t have much of a chance to go any further at Wimbledon. Venus Williams has won the title five times. She may have turned 30 this year, but she doesn’t seem to be slowing down. Her grass court game is incredible and I think she’s well on her way to winning a sixth title.

I’ll check in later and we can all analyze where my predictions went wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment